Wednesday, January 4, 2012

High School Rock

From 1999 - 2002, I attended high school. Four years of life that had a large impact on who I later became. In other words, I developed during that time.
Now, sitting in my living room on an unusually warm January day, my fiance's iPod plays on shuffle. A series of songs parade over my eardrums and I smile. I can't help but smile. Nothing will take you back in time better, more efficiently than a song you haven't heard for years.
Here, I'm experiencing some of the relics of my high school years. "Closing Time by Semisonic followed closely by "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith. Songs I haven't heard in years and frankly, I would be content not hearing ever again. 
But the combination of those chords, lyrics, and melody takes me back to after school cross country practice, watching the Swede pretend to tie his shoes, stupid fights with my mom about the length of my hair, that one high school cheerleader who represented my definition of love for a number of years, the strange smell of the hallways on that first day back to school in August, and saying goodbye to those familiar hallways on that graduation night when we stood in our black robes all smiles and camera flashes. 
Letting the music transport me, I realize that I'll never need a time machine. Forget the Delorean. I've got pop music to transport me to a different age and simpler time. So here's to Boss music, 105.7 KTTL, and the Alva High Band of Gold for keeping me in touch with the music of my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment